The interesting infographic above takes a look at some of the pros and cons of MOOCS, and some statistics about their successes and popularity.
MOOCS – Still Going Strong?
MOOCS offer lots of advantages:
- They are usually free
- Offers a solution to facility overcrowding
- Creates a dynamic archive of class material
- Force professors to improve lectures
- Break down distance barriers
There are also disadvantages:
- There is a lot of motivation based on profits
- “Wal-martification” of higher education
- Cost cutting to privatize public higher education
- Creates a two-tier higher education system: “real” education for those who can afford it, and “bargain” education for those who can’t.
A few statistics:
- MOOCs have a 93% failure rate (meaning 93% of enrolled participants don’t finish – for a variety of reasons. Not necessarily because they tried and couldn’t do it).
- The student teacher ratio is 150,000 to 1 – that’s a lot.
- 2 billion potential learners in the world